Job Title: Education Program Specialist
Reports To: Youth Education Manager
Category: Seasonal Full Time; up to 7 months (April - November 2020) - with possibility of longer-term employment
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Salary: $15 - $19/hour DOE
Application Deadline: Open until filled; priority goes to those that apply by February 14th, 2020
Wallowa Resources (WR) is a community-based 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation, established in 1996 with leadership from Wallowa County Commissioners. Since then, WR has worked to bring people together to empower rural communities to create strong economies and healthy landscapes through land stewardship, education, and job creation. We strive to balance rural economic well-being with the stewardship and conservation of its resources, preserving each rural area’s heritage of making a living from the land.
Wallowa Resources (WR) is seeking an experienced, fun-loving, hard-working, service-oriented person to join our staff community and serve as the Education Program Specialist. This position will assist the Education Manager in developing and implementing place-based, relevant, hands-on curriculum in natural resource and STEAM education through a range of outdoor programs serving our K-12 community. Our youth education programs are designed to provide young people with hands on exposure to the natural history of the region, stimulate interest in stewardship of the region’s diverse working landscapes, promote youth workforce development and augment the natural science curriculum of the schools. Program Specialists will provide leadership and could work in several of our key program areas. See www.wallowaresources.org for more information on programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and teach hands-on, outdoor, environmental and natural resource based education programs, including but not limited to Sustainable Forestry and Forest Ecology, Watershed Ecology, local flora and fauna, place-based natural and cultural history/ethnobotany, and
- Safely lead groups of youth into remote wilderness areas on day hikes and overnight camping adventure programs
- Assist Program Manager with development and implementation of environmental education curriculum
- Assist with grant writing, reporting and fundraising efforts to support programs
- Assist with general maintenance and inventory of education program gear and supplies.
- Other duties as assigned, which support Wallowa Resources mission and team, including assisting with communication and outreach efforts
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The following are the minimum levels required to successfully perform the Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities.
- Experience in teaching in outdoor/experiential education or classroom setting
- A genuine fondness for and desire to work and interact with children and young adults
- Ability to adapt to a varied schedule
- Willingness to learn, collaborate and reflect, while working independently and in a team
- Ability to maintain a positive, solutions-oriented attitude as challenges arise, such as inclement weather conditions or unexpected programmatic or facility changes.
- Clear and effective written and oral communication skills
- Empathetic demeanor, exhibiting strong interpersonal skills
- Capable of working long hours outdoors in typical and inclement weather
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and be able to pass a criminal background check
- Possess a minimum of CPR/First-Aid certification OR ability to acquire
- A degree in education, natural sciences, environment studies, or related fields OR equivalent real-world experience
- Understanding of trauma-informed teaching practices and able to empathetically work with a diverse group of students from different backgrounds
- Advanced wilderness first aid training (ie: WFR, WAFA, etc..) and experience safely leading groups into backcountry situations
- Knowledge of local flora, fauna and natural and cultural history of Wallowa County
- Strong background in classroom and/or group management practices with an emphasis on community building and team building approaches
Environment and Physical Requirements: The Education Program Specialist works in an office and outdoor environment. During the summer months the position works primarily in outdoor education locations including parks, forests, camps, and other locations. Those outdoor locations are subject to a variety of extreme weather conditions including heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, and dust. The position frequently requires daily travel by car, with occasional overnight travel. The Youth Education Specialist interacts constantly with staff, visitors, program participants, parents, government agencies, and others. The position sits, stands, walks, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during working hours. The incumbent must be able to lift, push, pull and move files and equipment in excess of 40 pounds.
Hours: Typical office hours are full time from 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., Monday through Friday. The Education Program Specialist may be required to work extended hours during the peak program months.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts WR’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Accommodation Statement: Essential job duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform the job successfully, an incumbent or applicant must possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty and responsibility proficiently. If you require an accommodation in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, please contact the WR Executive Director.
Wallowa Resources is an Equal Opportunity Employer